The Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 USB audio interface is super quiet, you get the same quality of recording as any high-end model digital audio interface. Super low latency, means absolutely no delay in monitoring (depending on the speed of your computer system) as you record, and is what put the Focusrite Scarlett Solo in my gear box! No worries, if you happen to have an older slower running system, the Focusrite Scarlett Solo has a Direct Monitor Switch which will send the signal direct from the channel source to your monitoring headphones.
How I Use The Scarlett Solo Gen 2 Audio Interface
I personally use the Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 on an almost daily basis for both voice over work and for recording vocals and instruments. The built in 48v phantom power allows me to use my travel setup with no pre-amp. It is as plug and play as it can get. Focusrite has no latency, I never have to deal with delayed monitoring. This interface is very simple to use, not a lot of features to confuse even the most inexperienced beginners. At the same time, the Scarlett Solo Gen 2 is the perfect portable solution for any pro.
Compact, Portable, and Low Cost Recording Solution
The Focusrite Scarlett Solo is very compact, ready to be packed away inside an overnight bag, bring your condenser mic, cable and a notebook and you literally have a complete recording studio anywhere you go.
Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 Price
The Focus Rite Scarlett Solo is my current favorite cheap usb audio interface for many reasons. one of the reasons is price, I have seen prices range from $99 to $149 just for the Scarlett interface alone, so it is very reasonable for those of us wanting an excellent audio interface on a budget.
Features of the Focusrite Scarlett Studio Gen 2
Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 has a single XLR jack with 48v phantom power on channel 1, and adjustable gain. Channel 2, designed for an instrument, has a stereo jack, adjustable gain, and a line / instrument switch. Monitor your audio through the stereo monitor jack with adjustable volume control.
Halo System: LED Channel Monitoring
Around the gain control knobs for each channel is an LED lighted ring which Focusrite calls the “Halo System”, the ring shines green, yellow and red to help easily identify when your channel is clipping, and lets you easily adjust the gain to a proper level.
ProTools and Ableton DAW’s Included With Your Purchase
The Focusrite Scarlett Solo comes with both Ableton and ProTools DAW’s, and an entire suite of very cool plug-in’s which vary from month to month. I have tested the Scarlett Solo with my Windows 7 64bit system and the interface worked flawlessly.==>Click to purchase the Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 USB Digital Audio Interface from Amazon
What’s inside the box?
- USB Cable
- Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Digital Audio Interface
- Code for Software Bundle Including Ableton Live Lite and ProTools First, Sample Loops, and Effects and more
- Limited 1 Year Warranty
- 2 Input / 2 Output
- Single Scarlett Microphone Preamp
- Single Instrument/Line Input with Switch
- 48V Phantom Power
- Powered via USB
- Direct Monitor Switch
- 24-Bit/192 kHz
- Ableton Live Lite & Pro Tools | First
- Included Software Bundle
- OS X and Windows Compatible
Focusrite Scarlett Solo Specs
- USB 2.0
- 1, 48, 88.2, 96 and 192 kHz Sample Rates
- 1 XLR Input
- 1 – ¼” TRS Line / Instrument Input
- RCA Left and Right Phono Outputs
- 1 – ¼” TRS Headphone Output
- USB Bus Powered
- System Requirements Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capitan Windows 7, 8.1, 10
- 7”H X 5.7”W X 4.7”D
- Weight with packaging 1.45lb
Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 Durability
My Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 has been around the world with me twice, has been dropped at least three or four times, and continues to work flawlessly. In fact, the scarlet colored brushed aluminum casing shows no scratches, scuffs or wear that I could find, durability is not a factor. Even in the Southeast Asian heat and humidity this little guy continues to work perfectly, even though, my notebook didn’t make the full trip.
Testimonials From Verified Purchaser’s
“This is my 1st ever “professional” audio item (paired with my AT2020) and wow, this is so much better than using a simple headset mic. I had a bit of trouble making it work at first, turned out I got the wrong driver. Whoops, my bad. I contacted Focusrite support and they were simply amazing. Their responses were fast and helped me get this working very fast! I would highly reccomend this for single input audio for things like streaming and YouTube any day of the week!” – David R.
“Met all my expectations, and gave me tons of free software.” – Jeff B.
“This is a great device if you are starting out in broadcasting or podcasting. Has 1 xlr input for mic with pre-amp that powers my AT2020 mic just fine. Software downloads for this are all so hard to use. I’m no DAW software expert though. I’m simply using for mic input, but you could plug in a guitar as well.
I have looped my sound thru Voicemeeter, which is incredible for processing sound. I can monitor my voice either with phones to the Scarlett, or if you use Voicemeeter you can hear the mic as a digital input.” – Philip H.
Cons of the Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 USB Audio Interface
- Well, they are tough to find. One, is sometimes this unit is not big enough for jobs on the road. I do have the bigger Scarlett 2i2, for those situations where I need the extra XLR channel. However, the Scarlett Solo is the first USB interface I turn to, and in most cases it is all the interface I need when traveling.
- This unit is fully compatible for Mac users. Windows 10 users will most likely have some issues at initial setup, but once you get recording and playback all set you shouldn’t have any problems in the future. From my own experience, this problem seems to be a Windows 10 flaw, and not an issue with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface itself. Should you have any problem with the initial setup, just contact the fantastic people at the Focusrite customer support. They are very aware of this Windows 10 problem, and they will have you up and running in no time at all!
Scarlett Studio Pack
Focusrite also offers the Scarlett Solo Studio Pack that include the Scarlett Solo as the primary interface, as well as a Focusrite condenser mic, and Focusrite studio monitoring headphones, so that you can get nearly everything you need to set up your home recording studio with one purchase and a low price.
Overall, the Focusrite Scarlett Solo is my best pick for a low cost USB audio interface. I literally use this interface every day, no matter if it is, for Voice Over work, recording instruments, recording singers, and the Focus Rite Scarlett Solo can do all of these things, no matter if I am in my home studio or off vacationing, I am always able to get pro quality audio every time.